Contact Lens Wearers Take Probabilities With Their Eyes
Old cases, contaminated solution and sleeping in lenses boost infection risk
(HealthDay Information) — Most contact lens wearers shut their eyes to security suggestions, a brand new U.S. authorities examine finds.
Practically all the 41 million Individuals who use contact lenses admit they have interaction in at the very least one sort of dangerous conduct that may result in eyeinfections, U.S. Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention researchers reported Thursday.
And practically one-third of contact lens wearers have sought medical look after doubtlessly preventable issues corresponding to painful or pink eyes, they stated.
“Good imaginative and prescient contributes to general well-being and independence for folks of all ages, so it is necessary to not reduce corners on wholesome contact lens put on and care,” Dr. Jennifer Cope, a medical epidemiologist on the CDC, stated in an company information launch.
“We’re discovering that many wearers are unclear about tips on how to correctly put on and look after contact lenses,” Cope stated.
4-fifths admitted conserving their contact lens instances for longer than beneficial, and greater than half stated they add new answer to the present answer as an alternative of emptying the contact lens case first. About half reported sporting their contact lenses whereas sleeping.
Every of those behaviors boosts the danger of eye infections by 5 instances or extra, based on the CDC. The examine was printed within the Aug. 21 difficulty of the company’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
The CDC outlined the next methods contact lens wearers can scale back their threat of eye infections:
- Wash your fingers with cleaning soap and water, and dry them earlier than touching contact lenses.
- Take away contacts earlier than sleeping, showering or swimming.
- Rub and rinse contacts in disinfecting options every time you take away them.
- After every use, rub and rinse the contact lens case with answer, dry the case with a clear tissue and retailer it the wrong way up with the caps off.
- Do not add recent answer to outdated answer.
- Exchange contact lens instances at the very least as soon as each three months, and carry a pair of backup glasses in case it’s a must to take away your contact lenses.