What to Do When Your Devotional Life is in a Rut
Most of us have felt it. Typically, although, we don’t know what to do about it.
It’s the stuck-in-the rut feeling we get when time spent with God leaves our religious palate dry and off slightly than full and glad. Or after we know we ought to be spending time with God, however we are able to’t fairly work out what to do. Or after we know what to do, however can’t appear to suit it into an already jammed schedule.
In case your devotion time with God feels caught, you aren’t alone. Feeling caught isn’t essentially a nasty factor; it may be a very good factor when it serves as a catalyst for change. However how?
Getting unstuck outcomes from a change in our angle, a change in the environment, a change in our strategies, or a mix of all three. If you happen to want a refresh in your relationship with God attempt considered one of these concepts:
Change Your Strategies
SEE ALSO: 10 Tricks to Refresh Your Devotional Life
1. As you start your quiet time, pray, “Lord, if you were here with me right now (and you are) what would you say to me today?” Open your Bible and start studying. Whenever you come to a verse that resonates with you or your circumstance, cease studying. Write the verse down, phrase for phrase. Notice God has heard and answered your prayer. He’s had a dialog with you.
2. Save time by understanding the place you’ll learn earlier than you start your devotions. Choose one ebook of the Bible and work your approach via it. If Bible studying is new to you, begin with the gospel of John (the fourth ebook within the New Testomony). If you happen to learn one chapter of John a day, you’ll full your complete ebook in 21 days.
three. Write out your prayers (not a prayer checklist) longhand and even in your laptop computer. Don’t fear about handwriting or spelling. Simply write. This may hold your thoughts targeted and your senses eager.
four. If you happen to normally learn a devotional, learn the Bible.
SEE ALSO: 6 Methods to Kickstart Your Devotional Life
5. If you happen to normally pray silently, pray out loud.
6. If you happen to normally learn brief parts of Scripture, attempt studying longer parts, which may give you a broader context. Choose a brief ebook of the Bible and skim it in a single sitting.
7. If you happen to learn longer parts of Scripture, attempt studying shorter parts. Typically much less is extra if it means you’ll bear in mind and apply what you learn.
eight. When studying a passage of Scripture, ask three questions: Lord, what would you like me to know? What would you like me to really feel? What would you like me to do? Not all passages will reply all three questions, however many will.
SEE ALSO: When God Feels Far Away
9. Finish your devotion time with God by saying (or writing, or praying) “I love you, God.”
10. Finish your devotion time with God by picturing Him saying “I love you __________ (your name).”
Change Your Surroundings
11. Free your self from the burden of getting a quiet time a sure approach at a sure time. If very first thing within the morning isn’t greatest for you, attempt mid-morning, lunchtime, or throughout a day break.
12. If you happen to usually have your quiet time inside, go outdoors.
13. If you happen to sometimes sit when you pray, stroll when you pray or kneel when you pray.
14. Make your devotion time particular. Learn your Bible and pray someplace that feeds your soul. Or a minimum of reduce distractions.
15. Hearken to worship music or Scripture when you dress within the morning (smartphones have apps that make this straightforward).
16. Hearken to Scripture in your morning or night commute.
Change Your Angle
17. If you happen to ask God for issues greater than you thank God for issues, spend your first minutes with God merely saying “thank you.”
18. Higher but, start devotion time with God by writing down issues you’re grateful for.
19. If boredom or confusion fills your ideas about God, make a listing of God’s attributes. Reread your checklist, praising God for who He’s, not simply what He’s achieved.
20. Write down a prayer of confession. Don’t be normal; be particular and watch God launch your burdens and free your soul.
21. If you happen to usually pray for your self or family members, broaden your scope; pray on your group, your nation or our world.
22. If you happen to hardly ever pray on your unsaved household, associates, neighbors or coworkers, begin.
23. If concern, doubt, or heartache threatens to eat you, learn the Psalms. Based mostly on what you learn in Scripture, take a bit of paper and make two columns. On the prime of 1 write “What’s true about my circumstance” on the prime of the opposite, write, “What’s true about God.”
24. Earlier than studying your Bible inform God, “Whatever your Word instructs me to do today, I will do.” Then do it. Interval.
25. On a regular basis, inform somebody (a partner, pal, little one) what God is instructing you.
Religious seasons of dryness or staleness are to be anticipated. So is occasional confusion. If you happen to’re feeling caught in your devotional life, attempt one or two of those ideas. Or attempt all of them. Through the years I’ve included each considered one of these ideas in my devotion time to maintain my relationship with God recent and vibrant. Most of the ideas I follow day-after-day.
Let’s be just like the Psalmist who prayed, “Restore to me the joy of my salvation and renew a right spirit within me.”
Donna Jones is a nationwide speaker who travels from coast to coast serving to ladies discover and observe God in actual, on a regular basis life. She’s the writer of Search: A Lady’s Information to Assembly GodTaming Your Household Zoo and Elevating Children with Good Manners. She resides in southern California together with her pastor hubby and their three youngsters. She loves a very good cup of espresso, nice dialog and laughing till her sides damage. For extra on her books, ministry or free assets, go to Donna at www.donnajones.org.
Publication date: October four, 2016